283 x 216 mm. View looking east across the Howrah Bridge towards Calcutta, from Howrah. The 1,530 foot bridge was built on floating pontoons (clearly seen here) in order to obviate possible silting which permanent piers might have caused. It was designed by Sir Bradford Leslie and erected in 1874. It was replaced by a cantilever bridge in 1943. The photograph is contained in: Massey, Montague (1918), Recollections of Calcutta for over half a century. Calcutta: Thacker, Spink and Company. The photograph was taken circa 1918.
Royal Commonwealth Society Library. Cambridge University Library. University of Cambridge.