Repository logo
 

Parkside Fire and Rescue Station, Cambridge: An Archaeological Evaluation.


Change log

Authors

Newman, Richard 

Abstract

A trench-based evaluation, comprising three trenches, was undertaken at the Parkside Fire and Rescue Station site, Cambridge, between the 12th and the 21st of September 2011. This revealed that the site had previously been subject to intensive gravel quarrying activity. Although no earlier, pre-quarry features had survived, two distinct types of quarry pit were identified. The first of these consisted of a series of haphazardly arranged sub-oval features, one of which was found to contain abraded Roman pottery (although the majority of these quarries appear most likely to have been medieval in origin). Subsequently, however, during the 17th century, the site became the focus of more intensive 'strip-type' extraction techniques. A large number of deep, straight-sided linear pits were inserted at this time, and between them these features removed almost all of the remaining natural gravel. Following the Inclosure of the site in 1807, its by now irregular and uneven terrain was landscaped and a relatively high-status villa - Peters Field (or Petersfield) House - was constructed. This was finally demolished in 1963-4 in order to allow the erection of the Parkside Fire and Rescue Station.

Description

Keywords

Is Part Of

Publisher

Cambridge Archaeological Unit, Department of Archaeology, University of Cambridge

Publisher DOI

Publisher URL