[Second part of:] Panorama of Grand Harbour, Valletta, 1860s
Second part of a panoramic view of Grand Harbour composed of three joined prints, linen backed and measuring in total 861 x 199 mm. The panorama forms part of the collection of General Edward Charles Frome (1802-1890) of the Royal Engineers and was probably acquired by him during his period of service in Gibraltar as C.R.E. from 1862-68. This view is taken from the ramparts of Valletta, probably from somewhere in the vicinity of the Upper Barracca Gardens, and looks south across Grand Harbour. Kalkara Creek is at the extreme left of the print, with Fort St. Angelo dominating most of the left hand portion of the panorama. In the centre is Galley Creek, with Senglea to the right. In the right hand section is French Creek (with shipping moored at the wharves), with Coradino at the extreme right of the print. The Cotonera Lines can be seen in the background. Photograph taken in the 1860s.