Repository logo

A brief history of the Blue Palace



Change log


Bulag, Uradyn E. 


The Blue Palace (Höh Yaman) in Hejing was built in 1927 by the Torghut reincarnate lama Senchin for his nephew Manchugjav. The palace was designed and painted in the style of Russian architecture.The Blue Palace was the earliest brick structure built in Hejing. It has 60 rooms and a house for assistants at the back. The guest rooms in the two wings were for officials from various banners. According to Tserenjav, until 1949, the Blue Palace served multiple functions: the first floor was for meetings of banner officials, the second floor had a gallery showing portraits of 11 generations of Torghut Khans and rooms for Khan’s family. Today, 30 rooms are opened, containing 1,532 historical objects.Prior to 1949, Manchugjav was imprisoned for a long time by Sheng Shicai’s government and developed mental illness as a result. Wu Jinbin, his first wife, took over the administrative tasks during his absence. Torghut Khan’s family once owned 20,000 mu land but they sold it to finance the first royal primary school in Hejing in 1935. It was the predecessor of the current-day Mongolian primary school in Hejing. Wu Jinbin then moved with her family to Urumchi where she also established a Mongolian school and sent students to Lanzhou, Whampoa Military Academy in Guangzhou, and other places. In 2013, the Blue Palace was designated as a national tangible heritage and it received large amounts of funding for refurbishment.



Hejing, Blue Palace, Senchin, Torghut Khan, tangible heritage

Is Part Of


Kalmyk Cultural Heritage Documentation Project, University of Cambridge

Publisher DOI

Publisher URL

Sponsored by Arcadia Fund, a charitable fund of Lisbet Rausing and Peter Baldwin