[First part of:] Zanzibar, general view from the sea
Fisher, Alfred Hugh 1867-1945
Great Britain. Colonial Office. Visual Instruction Committee
Royal Commonwealth Society Library. Cambridge University Library. University of Cambridge.
MetadataShow full item record
Unknown author (2004). [First part of:] Zanzibar, general view from the sea [digital image]. http://www.dspace.cam.ac.uk/handle/1810/790
First part of a panoramic view composed of three joined prints. The panorama shows a view from the harbour looking south towards the waterfront of the Zanzibar Town. To the left of centre stands the Beit Al Ajeib ('House of Wonders') with the Sultan's Palace to the right. The Beit Al Ajeib was built for Seyyid Barghash, Sultan of Zanzibar 1870-1888, in 1883, for ceremonial rather than residential purposes. In 1886 when Sayyid Khalid briefly usurped the throne the waterfront was bombarded: the clocktower seen at the front of the building was erected to replace a lighthouse badly damaged during the bombardment. From 1911 the building housed government offices when the Sultan took up residence in Sir Lloyd William Mathews' old house next door. In the centre of the picture are the Old Consulate buildings, in use until 1874, when they were superseded by the building on the extreme right on Shangani Point called the Mambo Msiige. The Old Consulate of the period was used on the godown of Smith, Mackenzie and Co. On the skyline behind the waterfront the twin spires of the Roman Catholic Cathedral (built between 1897 and 1900) can be seen. Photograph taken circa 1900-1910.
Zanzibar Island (Africa, Tanzania)
start=1900; end=1910; scheme=DCTERMS.W3CDTF
Host Item: RCS Photograph Collection, Fisher Collection, Y3047A; RCSPC-FISHER-Y3047A-001.
This record's URL: http://www.dspace.cam.ac.uk/handle/1810/790
All Rights Reserved, Copyright Cambridge University Library.
Licence URL: https://www.rioxx.net/licenses/all-rights-reserved/