Mus. Martyn Collection

Mus. Martyn contains the oldest plants in the herbarium, the earliest dated 1703. The specimens were brought to Cambridge by John Martyn (1699-1768), Professor of Botany at Cambridge from 1732 until 1766, and his son, Thomas Martyn (1735-1825), professor of Botany at Cambridge from 1767 until 1825. When Thomas died, John Stevens Henslow (Darwin’s mentor) took over the Professorship and found the Martyn collection in quite a sorry state with many plants broken and mouldy. He remounted most of the collection on fresh sheets of paper, carefully transferring all the labels he found that were still legible.

Browse

Recent Submissions