Rubáiyát of Omar Khayyám - the Martin & Mason Databases
About this collection
This collection contains a number of searchable listings relating to the Rubáiyát of Omar Khayyám. They were compliled by William H. Martin & Sandra Mason who published "The Art of Omar Khayyam: Illustrating Fitzgerald's Rubaiyat". (I B Tauris & Co Ltd. 2007. ISBN: 1845112822 )
Details of the individual databases are given below. None of them provides a comprehensive coverage of the material in question. The value of the listings lies primarily in the fact that they are in digital form. Thus they can be searched and ordered easily by all the various fields and categories identified.
The databases included are as follows:
- ROKlist2011 & ROKillus2011 – published versions (all languages) and illustrations.
- ROKref2011 – reference works dealing with the Rubáiyát.
- ROKmusic2011 – musical works relating to the Rubáiyát.
- ROKmss2011 – manuscripts of the Rubáiyát.
These databases provide information on the sources of information about individual versions of the Rubáiyát and other related material, and they show some of the libraries or other collections where the different items are held. Not all the items shown are available in open libraries, and some are known only from references to them in other published works. But for anyone wanting to locate a copy of a particular version of the Rubáiyát, or a particular piece of research material, the databases provide a good starting point.
Further bibliographical information, including exact titles, numbers of pages, volume sizes and bindings, can be found in the bibliographies compiled by Potter (1929) or Coumans (2010). We see our listings as being complementary to these two invaluable published works.
- Potter, A. G. A Bibliography of the Rubáiyát of Omar Khayyám. London, Ingpen and Grant, 1929. Reprinted Hildesheim, Georg Olms Verlag, 1994.
- Coumans, J. The Rubáiyát of Omar Khayyám; An Updated Bibliography. Leiden, Leiden University Press, 2010.
The database files have been saved in three formats: a Microsoft Access 2007 database (.accdb); a DBASE IV file (.dbf); a comma-delimited text file (.txt). A 'definitions' file is included with each database which lists and defines the fields and the codings used.
More up to date information on things happening regards the Rubaiyat of Omar Khayyam can be found on the authors' personal blog and their website