Authenticity and cultural heritage in the age of 3D digital reproductions
About this collection
Edited by Paola Di Giuseppantonio Di Franco, Fabrizio Galeazzi and Valentina Vassallo.
This volume represents the first attempt to collate an organic collection of contributions on authenticity and the digital realm in heritage and archaeology. It analyses the concept of authenticity from different perspectives and with different multidisciplinary contributions, together with theoretical debate. The collection of papers explores the concept of authenticity in a comprehensive way, engaging with theories relating to the commodifi cation of ancient material culture, heritage-making processes, scholarly views and community engagement. These papers also take into account current digital practices for the study of past material culture and how their use affects and redefi nes interpretation processes in archaeology. This will provide a key reference text for archaeologists, museum and heritage specialists, and other readers interested in authenticity, cultural heritage and 3D reproductions.
- Authenticity and cultural heritage in the age of 3D digital reproductions
- Introduction: Why authenticity still matters today
- Chapter 1 - Cast aside or cast in a new light? The Maudslay replica Maya casts at the Museum of Archaeology and Anthropology, Cambridge
- Chapter 2 - Authenticity and realism: virtual vs physical restoration
- Chapter 3 - Digital Authenticity and the London Charter
- Chapter 4 - Digital heritage objects, authorship, ownership and engagement
- Chapter 5 - Evaluating authenticity: the authenticity of 3D models in archaeological field documentation
- Chapter 6 - Virtual authority and the expanding role of 3D digital artefacts
- Chapter 7 - Volatile images: authenticity and representation and multi-vocality in digital archaeology
- Chapter 8 - Ektypa and 3D models of Ektypa: the reality(ies) of a digital object
- Chapter 9 - Theorizing authenticity – practising reality: the 3D replica of the Kazaphani boat
- Chapter 10 - Pitoti Prometheus, virtual reality 360: Valcamonica rock art between naturalism and alienation