Repository logo
 

Chetwynd Court, King’s College, Cambridge. An archaeological desk based assessment and deposit model


Type

Report

Change log

Authors

Dickens, Alison 
Newman, Richard 
Beats, Kate 

Abstract

This study has been commissioned by King’s College, Cambridge, to provide an archaeological overview of Chetwynd Court and its surrounding area (centred on TL 4477 5827). The Proposed Development Area (PDA) is located in the southwestern corner of King’s College, backing onto King’s Parade and King’s Lane, where it is surrounded by a series of buildings that were erected on a piecemeal basis during the 19th and 20th centuries. It measures 1538 square metres in area, with the open courtyard of Chetwynd Court itself covering 438 square metres. This study will examine the likelihood of archaeological deposits surviving within the PDA, as well as considering the potential impact of the proposed development upon any such remains. Although for much of its history the site comprised part of the town rather than gown, many of its constituent properties passed into collegiate ownership from the Late Medieval period onwards; eventually, the area as a whole was acquired by King’s College in 1823. Previously, from around the 11th century onwards, the principal focus of activity on the site had been a central laneway that connected the medieval High Street (present-day Trumpington Street) to a second major medieval thoroughfare, Milne Street (which no longer exists). Clustered along this laneway, which was most recently known as King’s Lane, were a series of properties that are likely to have housed a mixture of domestic and commercial tenants. Indeed, the area appears to have been intensely urban in character during the medieval and post-medieval periods, containing many close-packed buildings with small yards; these structures are visible in the historic maps of the town that began to be produced in the 16th century. During the 19th century, however, the topography of the site was radically altered following its conversion for collegiate use.

Description

Keywords

Is Part Of

Publisher

Cambridge Archaeological Unit, Department of Archaeology, University of Cambridge

Publisher DOI

Publisher URL