Repository logo
 

Gonville & Cauis College Boathouse, Cambridge: An Archaeological Watching Brief.


Change log

Authors

Newman, Richard 

Abstract

Archaeological monitoring was undertaken during the excavation of two boreholes and four trial pits located on a 990m square area of land in the northern part of the city of Cambridge on the 15th of February 2008. Along with evidence of the foundations of the standing 19th century Gonville and Caius Boathouse, a substantial peat deposit was also revealed. This material, which is situated immediately adjacent to the present course of the river Cam and is some 3m deep, appears to be associated with an area of marshland shown on a map of 1830 as lying immediately adjacent to a feature known as the 'Cambridge Sluice'.

Description

Keywords

Is Part Of

Publisher

Cambridge Archaeological Unit, Department of Archaeology, University of Cambridge

Publisher DOI

Publisher URL